Message from The President
Messages from the President - 2018
Thank You! - 2018 Year Ending Message from the President of BichitraPijush Majumdar, President – Bichitra Bengali Association of Manitoba
Dated: November 26, 2018
Dear Bichitra members,
It's hard to believe that we're almost at the end of 2018! On behalf of the Executive Committee, I would like to thank you for volunteering your valuable time towards the following events organized by Bichitra throughout the year. I would have preferred to mention your name for your significant contribution to Bichitra across several occasions throughout the year, but my sincere apology for not doing so, as I'm afraid I may miss someone inadvertently!
Highlights for 2018:
1. Poila Boishakh: We started our journey in 2018 with Poila Boisakh where we truly enjoyed good cultural program and rejuvenated our taste bud with fish kalia along with other typical Bengali dishes!
2. Rabindra Nazrul Jayanti: We celebrated Rabindra Nazrul Jayanti with a well-structured cultural program commemorating Rabindra Nath Tagore and Kazi Nazrul Islam.
3. Summer Camp: After taking a brisk break from cultural programs, we went to a beautiful ranch in Austin, Manitoba, called Circle Square Ranch Spruce Woods for summer camping. For those who joined us, they may tell you their awesome experience in this year's summer camp! The summer camp was loaded with activities like horse riding, zip lining, wall climbing - to name a few.
4. Canada Day Celebrations: We went to Birds Hill Provincial Park to celebrate Canada Day. We enjoyed the day with magic show, face painting, Canada Day quiz, sports activity etc.
5. Folklorama: This year we participated in Folklorama with beautifully choreographed group dance. We had set up a wonderfully decorated stall as well !!
6. Durga Puja: Although it was within the weekdays, we still celebrated our biggest festival of Bengali culture - Durga Puja in style! Two of our youth members beautifully designed the Durga Puja invitation card and the front & back cover of Agomoni - an endeavor to promote the talent of our younger generation. We were also able to collect record number of advertisements for the Agomoni this year!
7. Lakshmi Puja: We had Lakshmi Puja soon after the Durga Puja at Dr. Raj Pandey Hindu Centre.
8. Bijoya Sommeloni: This was followed by Bijoya Sommeloni where we presented a cultural lineup and our star attraction - a comedy drama. Not to mention, the drama was liked by many of our members and guests!
9. Diwali Mela: This year Bichitra presented a group dance in Diwali Mela as well.
10. Lunch Hosting: We just wrapped up our programs/events by hosting for The Hindu Society of Manitoba just last week at Dr. Raj Pandey Hindu Center.
The phenomenal success of these events could not be possible without sincere dedication, hard work and participation of enthusiastic members like you. This reflects nothing but your integrity and commitment towards building a stronger family named “Bichitra”!
We had a fairly good year full of activities and positive actions. We're hoping that we'll have a great next year and you'll all be part of this joy ride in 2019.
However, the 2018 cultural year for Bichitra did not completely end with shine and shimmer. We regret to inform you that Dr. Rory Fonseca, one our long-standing members, passed away on 20th Nov, 2018. Dr. Fonseca, an octogenarian, was in palliative care, recovering from cardiac failure. He completed his B. Arch from BE Shibpur in 1957, M.Arch (1968) and Ph.D in 1975 from UC Berkley, and was the faculty at various capacities at Univ. of Manitoba from 1976 to 1998. He is survived by his son, Mr. Dhiren Fonseca, who flew from Seattle to perform the last rites.
Thank You!Pijush Majumdar, President – Bichitra Bengali Association of Manitoba
Dated: August 19, 2018
Dear Bichitra members,
A simple "Thank You" is not enough to acknowledge your dedicated contribution to Folklorama 2018! All of you have sacrificed your valuable time & gave your best to support Bichitra in presenting the true Bengali heritage to the biggest multicultural platform of Manitoba, perhaps the biggest in North America! Today we finished the Folklorama for this year and many from the India Association of Manitoba & from India Pavilion organizing committee came to thank us for our participation! I have no hesitation to admit that it could not have been possible without your unappalled enthusiasm & enormous effort! Once again, I can't thank you enough for your unconditional help to make Bichitra so proud in front of such a diverse audience.